I think about this a lot for some reason — that time travel to decades past is the kind of jolly positive fantasy that only white people can / would have.
White privilege is wanting to go back to the 50’s because they had “cute ass relationships” “cute clothes” and other silly insignificant stuff.
For all of ya’ who don’t know, the farthest back I can go is the 90’s. 80’s would be pushing it. Here’s why:
- 80’s: The racist Wellfare Queen depictions
- 70’s: War, Communism scare, etc.
- 60’s: Racism, Voter suppression, etc.
- 50’s: The damn Mason-Dixon line :/
- 40’s-30’s: Forced deportation of Latin@/Chican@ people. (Didn’t matter how many generations in America you were, they shipped ya’ off ta’ Mexico for cheap labor.)
As you can see, some of these things might’ve warped. Some of these things have stayed the same. Point is, they’re still here, and they’re a part of our history that affects us. So if I ever hop into a blue telephone booth or find a StarGate, 90’s it is for me.